Monday, October 22, 2012

How to Meet the Firms

Last Thursday, I attended a "Meet the Accounting Professionals" event at a nearby state university.  It was great fun, especially since my last "Meet the Firms" was as a student over a decade ago.

Finding a few stellar candidates was the highlight, of course.  Meanwhile, I felt sympathetic to those candidates that did not come across well.  After chatting with colleagues, I've come up with a few simple dos and don'ts for candidates attending such events...
  • Do keep your resume to one page.  Some candidates said "I tried to keep it to one page, but just couldn't."  They should have tried harder.  This is a must.
  • Do research the firms beforehand.  It says a lot that you take the time to learn something as simple as a firm's primary niche, location, or relative size. That being said...
  • Do not use note cards.  It's great to research the company, but don't read the research from a note card.
  • Do not overstay your welcome.  When the conversation stops flowing naturally, it is likely time to say thank you and give a farewell handshake.  That said, don't suddenly leave if it's going great and the firm member is clearly engaged.
  • Do speak loudly enough to be heard.  I'm not suggesting shouting at people, but in a busy event the firm member should not have to lean in or repeatedly ask "I'm sorry, what was that?"
  • Do not appear desperate.  Talk of how far you drove or how hard you've been looking for a job is not advisable.
  • Do have questions ready.  Don't leave it up to the firms to ask all the questions.  Keep in mind you are approaching their booth.  
Those are just a few thoughts after the event.  It was such fun I might attend again next year.  In the meantime perhaps a candidate will tell me what the dos and don'ts are as a firm member attending.  Hope I got at least some of them right...

15 comments:

  1. I loved the post. Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I have been wanted to talk to a denver tax accountant about their job and I will definitely keep this advice in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ooncise post. very helpful to all students. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I am in charge of recruiting at a local firm in Houston and quoted your blog on my Linkedin page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tips are great. Simple, well-defined, easy to implement. Well, I shouldn't say easy, but rather feasible. Having questions ready, and appearing confident and speaking loudly is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article! Can you tell me anything about denver CO tax accountants ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Monica! I am glad that I visit your blog and it is informative and I learned a lot of this post and thanks for sharing this. Anyway if you are interested to link your blog on my blog recommended blogs just let me know and It would be great and and possibly working together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monica,

    I am the author of CPA Requirements. I have been trying to get in touch with you but your blog does not provide a method to do so. I'd appreciate it if you could email me through my blog/website.

    Thank you

    Sunil

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the post! I've been looking for some info on finding a New York City CPA. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Article for all Accountants.

    http://www.mediawizardz.com/blog/3-reasons-why-inbound-marketing-will-differentiate-your-accounting-firm

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a Certified Public Accountant and work a CPA firm. This year I was trying to attend the event at state university. But I mist it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great! I think it also applies to nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb article ,I really appreciated with it. I am going to bookmark your blog for future reference. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for such an insightful post. It brought quite a lot to my attention especially regarding how we present ourselves to firms as potential employees. I realised that it is very important to portray yourself as a well-rounded individual in the standards set by the corporate world and to meet the specifications required by employers. I am quite eager to read posts that will follow and are as enlightening as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the tips. They will be very helpful in future. I have not come across a blog as interesting and as informative as this one. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete