Sunday, October 14, 2012

So sorry to be a nuisance



An everyday occurrence at a department store yesterday got me thinking.

I was at the service counter returning an item, and the clerk helping me continued to carry on a conversation with her fellow clerk. Apparently, someone was either fired or moved from the service desk, and it was quite a scandal. The other clerk has a theory about what was behind it all, but I wasn't there long enough to hear what it was.

What did I find interesting about all that?  Not the actual conversation, as I really didn't care about the drama of the service desk.  What I noticed and disliked was the way they acted as though I weren't there.  As the customer, I should have been the focus of the clerk's attention, but that most definitely was not the case.  Instead I was made to feel like an inconvenience, someone to "deal with" so they could get back to the real issue at hand of their conversation.

When a client calls, or stops by, do we perhaps make them feel that way?  That they are someone to be dealt with so we can get back to more pressing matters?  I hope that's not the way I treat my clients.  I'm sure to be more aware of it going forward, having been treated like a nuisance myself.

Best to give clients our full, undivided attention.  They are sure to notice and appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience. How frustrating that must have been. As the customer you certainly shouldn’t feel like an inconvenience! I'm not an accountant but I am a client of an accounting firm in Utah and I’ve been that client who calls and stops by sometimes. I often feel like I’m being a nuisance but I’ve certainly never been treated that way. My accountant always gives me his full and undivided attention and like you said, clients sure do notice and appreciate it. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience. How frustrating that must have been. As the customer you certainly shouldn’t feel like an inconvenience! I'm not an accountant but I am a client of an accounting firm in Utah and I’ve been that client who calls and stops by sometimes. I often feel like I’m being a nuisance but I’ve certainly never been treated that way. My accountant always gives me his full and undivided attention and like you said, clients sure do notice and appreciate it. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay google is my queen helped me to find this great site! .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've experienced this more than once! Very off putting, particularly when I'm in a changing room and I can hear shop assistants complaining about customers, or when the cashier is having a personal conversation with a friend when I'm making my purchase (and have additional questions!). I wonder what the owners would think if they knew...

    ReplyDelete